Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Feeling the Love

Just got home after a whirlwind weekend.  I had a PW and a PR at the same time.  It was my slowest marathon ever 4:05, but that never bothered me because it was such an amazing experience. From having Dad out on the course and with me during the weekend, to the way the crowds rallied to support the runners along the entire course.  They were giving out extra water, spraying us with hoses, and handing out everything from soaked sponges, to licorice and orange wedges.  And it was a hot one, reaching 89 degrees at some point during the day.

Everyone, at least once in their lives, should get to experience something like this.  Running Boston, especially when on the Dana Farber team, is like a non-stop 6 hour positive affirmation.  After 500+ high-fives from kids on the course, 400+  "Go Murph!s", "Go Dana Farber!s", and "Go 4 Dad!s", you forget about how badly your body feels, uplifted by all the positive energy coming your way.  Then as if that was not enough, there is always a Dana Farber volunteer to meet you after the finish.  They carry your bag, make sure you don't fall over (which is important!), and walk you to the DFMC HQ at the Marriott just near the finish.  From there it's more rounds of clapping and standing ovations from the amazing Dana Farber Volunteers, and then the world's best message, followed by hot soup.  Most marathons, you get your medal and then make your way home.  Dana Faber gives you a nice soft landing.

The Personal Record (PR) was that as of today I have surpassed my previous fund raising record for Dana Farber, which was $5,210 back in 2007.  As of now, I am at $5,240 in online and other donations and I still have until May 16 to see if I can do more. Thanks to the tremendous support of friends and family, I brought in over $3700 in the last 9 days.  Even more touching stories of how people's lives have been impacts by cancer came through in the last few days as well.  And the waves of encouragement through e-mails and face book have been truly overwhelming.  My sincerest thanks to all.

I close as always with a picture.  A line up of all the Boston finisher's medals.  Starting on the left with 1996  for the 100th running, where I knocked out a 3:07, my second fastest ever. then 1997, 2007 (when we ran through a nor'easter!) 2008, and finally yesterday.  Have a great day everyone.

1 comment: